| The Hypertension Clinic at Michigan Heart Group
High blood pressure increases the risk of heart disease and stroke so it’s important to know how to lower high blood pressure. Hypertension risk factors include obesity, drinking too much alcohol, smoking, and family history.
- Normal: Less than 120/80
- Prehypertension: 120-139/80-89
- Stage 1 high blood pressure: 140-159/90-99
- Stage 2 high blood pressure: 160 and above/100 and above
The exact causes of high blood pressure are not known. Several factors and conditions may play a role in its development, including:
- Being overweight or obese
- Lack of physical activity
- Too much salt in the diet
- Too much alcohol consumption (more than 1 to 2 drinks per day)
- Older age
- Family history of high blood pressure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Adrenal and thyroid disorders
Treating high blood pressure can require a multi-pronged approach including diet changes, medication, and exercise. Michigan Heart Group’s board-certified physicians have significant experience and expertise in treating all forms of hypertension.
To schedule your appointment, call 248-267-5050 or request your appointment online.